Our Investment Philosophy
We are an independent, fee-based investment financial firm and we do not receive commissions for our investment advisory relationships in regards to implementing our wealth management strategies. As fiduciaries, we charge an ongoing asset based fee.
Kaplan Financial Value Proposition
- Help investors set realistic goals and then structure an investment strategy around the known sources of risk and return.
- Develop a clear investment plan that delivers the returns of the capital markets and adhere to a disciplined methodology while controlling costs and managing tax efficiency.
- Analyze investment products and determine the appropriate tools for each investor's portfolio.
Our Investment Strategy
Our investment strategy is a distinct alternative to trying to pick winning stocks or active managers. Historical data and research clearly show that an overwhelming majority of active managers underperform their appropriate benchmarks because they do not have the ability to consistently predict the future movements in the capital markets. We understand that market fluctuations are random and unpredictable, so trying to outsmart the markets is oftentimes a futile endeavor. We view the capital markets as our allies that, over time, can reward investors who commit their capital; this is the essence of capitalism.
Instead of trying to predict things that are outside of our control, we choose to spend our time managing all of the important variables that can positively impact portfolio performance: asset allocation, diversification, discipline, tax efficiency and costs. We believe this approach can aim towards giving clients better odds of enjoying a successful investment experience. There is no guarantee that a diversified portfolio, asset allocation, or any other strategy will enhance overall returns. No strategy assures success or protection again loss.
We understand the important relationship between returns and risk and spend time helping clients determine how much risk they need or want to take to accomplish their financial objectives. Our goal is to help investors capture the returns that the capital markets provide while taking the appropriate amount of risk.
- Capital markets work. The investment professionals at Kaplan Financial believe that markets quickly incorporate all publicly available information into security prices. This implies that the current price of a security is the best estimate of its true value. As a result, we believe it is virtually impossible to consistently find securities or sectors that are mispriced and, therefore, trying to out guess the market is a futile endeavor.
- The level of expected returns is a function of the level of risk taken. Over time, capital markets can reward investors for taking certain risks. Our investment professionals believe they understand how capital markets work and which risks are generally worth taking.
- "Tilting" toward value and small cap seek to improve returns. Research conducted by Eugene Fama, Ph.D, Kenneth French, Ph.D, and Dimensional Fund Advisors (DFA) suggests that "tilting" each equity asset class toward value and small cap aims to improve returns. Kaplan Financial can apply these "tilts" to each segment of a client’s equity portfolio. The prices of small cap stocks are generally more volatile than large cap stocks.
- Market fluctuations are random and unpredictable. It is critical that investors structure well-diversified portfolios across global equity and fixed income markets. Diversification can help manage risk and improve risk-adjusted returns. There is no guarantee that a diversified portfolio will enhance overall returns or outperform a non-diversified portfolio. Diversification does not protect against market risk.
International investing involves special risks such as currency fluctuation and political instability and may not be suitable for all investors.
- Asset allocation determines portfolio return and risk. This means that investors should spend their time and money making sure they have the appropriate asset allocation. Unfortunately, we have observed that many spend their time and money selecting individual securities and oftentimes increases risk. It is important to understand that investment professionals do not generate performance for clients – asset classes generate the performance. To us, the key is getting exposure to the appropriate asset classes in a cost-effective manner.